Lesson For Me...
Today at church a women in my ward got up in Relief Society and said that she hears moms always complaining about not getting stuff done and having small children, etc. Her kids are mostly grown up and she read us two poems that she thought the young mothers in our ward might like to hear. I wanted to cry after thinking about how I have been treating Bennett lately and after she read the two poems i think they were meant JUST FOR ME...
I TOOK HIS HAND AND FOLLOWED:
My dishes went unwashed today,
I didn't make the bed,
I took his hand and followed
Where his eager footsteps led.
Oh yes, we went adventuring,
My little son and I...
Exploring all the great outdoors
Beneath the summer sky.
We waited in a crystal stream,
We wandered through a wood...
My kitchen wasn't swept today
But like was sweet and good.
We found a cool, sun-dappled glade
And now my small son knows
How mother bunny hides her nest,
Where Jack-In-The-Pulpit grows.
We watched a Robin feed her young,
We climbed a sunlit hill...
Saw cloud-sheep scamper through the sky,
We plucked a daffodil.
That my house was neglected,
That I didn't brush the stairs,
In twenty years, no one on earth
Will know, or even care.
But that I have helped my little boy
To noble manhood grow,
In twenty years, the whole wide world
May look and see and know.
Author unknown.
A MOTHER'S POEM TO MY GROWN-UP SON
My hands were busy through the day;
I didn't have much time to play.
The little games you asked me to,
I didn't have much time for you.
I'd wash your clothes, I'd sew and cook
But when you'd bring your picture book
And ask me please to share your fun
I'd say: "A little later, son."
I'd tuck you in all safe at night
And hear your prayers, turn out the light,
Then tiptoe softly to the door...
I wish I'd stayed a little more.
For life is short, and years rush past...
A little boy grows up so fast.
No longer is he at your side
His precious secrets to confide.
The picture books are put away,
There are no longer games to play,
No goodnight kiss, no prayers to hear,
That all belongs to yesteryear.
My hands, once busy, now are still.
The days are long and hard to fill.
I wish i could go back and do
The little things you asked me to.
Author unknown.
Does that just break your heart? Or is it just me who feels like I need to spend more quality time with my kids? I hope I can do better at forgetting about my house and all of the things that keep me busy and just playing with my boys!

9 comments:
Seriously. I need to do more with my kids - it's hard to remember that at times, but very important.
I am trying to work on this, but it is sooo hard. When my house is in disarray I am in a bad mood. When I have an extra second I want to rest alone. What is wrong with me. This time does go by so fast, I really need to do more with my children.
that is so funny that you have this on your blog becuase i just got done reading it to Rob last night for Family night and I was totally crying at the end. It's a really good poem to keep FOREVER and look at all the time!
Oh Sara, what about those of us who don't keep a clean house or spend time with our kids? Ha Ha! I do need to always remember what's important!
Sara, I'm sure you are the best mom. I feel the same way too. But it is nearly impossible for me to sit down and play with my kids when I see piles of stuff that need to get done! I try to intermix the two to come up with some sort of compromise, but I'm sure in the end, I could always spend more quality time with my little ones.
I hear ya! I feel awful sometimes when I am just trying to get ahead of the messes. Avery asked me the other day to play Barbies with her and I stopped right in the middle of what I was doing to FINALLY play with her!
these are always good things to be reminded - we are all guilty I am sure - even the mom who shared the poem - probably shared it hoping the younger generation wouldn't make the all same mistakes she did - or at least not as many of them - at the end of the day sometimes bill will ask what the best part of my day was . . . it is ALWAYS some fun event or game with one of my kids or a laughing time with my children - NEVER is it that the house is clean or that I got to blog!!! Like i said - we all need the reminders!
Oh my gosh, Sara! Could there be anything more clear than that? I totally feel ya on this one. Jared always tells me that someday he won't want to snuggle and kiss me. It's hard to believe. Thanks for those...I never get to hear the things in R.S. so that was a treat. I have taken it to heart.
This is why my house was a mess all last week.
Post a Comment