Monday, April 14

Food for thought.......

Blogging takes too much time! What i mean is that i was sitting at church yesterday thinking that I never have time to read scriptures or do things that matter and then I started thinking of what i do with my time. That was not good! I realized that I sit down at my computer mostly everyday to "quickly" check all of my friends blogs and it usually takes an hour just to check, and that is not even taking the time to make comments. Then i usually realize i have been on the computer for too long and I don't do a post of my own (obviously I don't post very often)! The blog world is really quite crazy actually. I probably shouldn't have written this because now I will feel guilty each day when i continue to do it, but maybe I will try harder to do the things I should first! Just a thought.......

19 comments:

Emily Judd said...

okay so I feel the same way too! Even though I use Google Reader (that checks all blogs for me) I still spend SO MUCH time on the computer. What a waste of time! If I could only kick the habit...

Christy said...

Yes, I agree! I always tell Brett the house is a mess because I am so busy. Then I think about what I really do and I realize I get distracted too easily. So I am trying to do the things I have to first and then these other things later. Well right now my house is a mess and I'm commenting on your blog. I can't commit! Although I like to update my blog as much as possible because it is the only jounal my family will ever have.

Sara Decker said...

Emily- what is blog reader? Sounds like i need that!

Christy- true about it being a journal, i dont feel so bad now.

mikelle said...

True that! I should totally be doing other things than blogging but I'm addicted. And I use the same excuse - it's our family journal! But did you know you can actually turn your blog into a journal? Check it out: http://www.blurb.com/create/book/blogbook

Newmans said...

Sara, you pretty much summed up my blogging style too. I know exactly what you mean!

SUMMER said...

I REALLY do agree. It does take a lot of time. I make myself feel not as guilty by telling myself that it's OK because I cut out a lot of my TV time for this instead. I feel like I would rather see what my friends are up to than watching someone on TV that I don't know. But it is true. It becomes addicting b/c you start to blog surf and suddenly you are looking at someone's blog you don't even know. It is crazy! Good food for thought!

karlin said...

It is SO time consuming and addicting. I enjoy it because I love keeping in touch and it sometimes is the only break I take. If you get a chance look at my friend Janet's blog... she just got her blog published. She has pictures and stories documented for the WHOLE year. It's great,a journal and scrap book in one and something her family will always have! I'm just trying to justify the time I spend posting because I'll make it a book someday. (if I ever get time)

hub of the house said...

what is google reader???

Wendy said...

Thanks for reminding me to get off the computer. With that, Amen sister!

Emily Judd said...

Google Reader is fabulous. Type it in search or if you have a gmail account it's up at the top left. Type in all of your blogs that you read and it checks them all for you and puts all of the new posts on one page. It saves SO much time!!

April said...

I have been checking other peoples much less frequently and just trying to focus on when I want to put something in my own. I still don't do that as much as I used to. Well now that I am not checking very often I have found that I missed the boat on a couple friends who have made their blogs private. What? No invite. Oh-well. That is a few less to check, right.

Barbara said...

I hear you little lady. What does it say that I am spending so much time blogging and so little time studying the scriptures? I am working on finding a better balance. I have recently started using Kaden's morning nap as time to clean and read the Ensign or my scriptures - then I use his afternoon nap to get on the computer. I am feeling better about that. One step at a time.

Emily said...

Great food for thought Sara! We all feel like that! I need google reader too, that would save so much time!

Tiffany said...

I know, I know. I feel the same way. There is always time to do the things we should, we just choose not to. I use the excuse that I am journaling.. and that makes me feel better :)

Elizabeth said...

that is sooo true!!!!!!!!

The Zeediks said...

depressing when you think about it! But you always start off by thinking you're just gonna check something real quick, before you know it an hour has gone by.

Meggan said...

Amen sister. I don't think I have time to blog so I'm debating stopping, or at least slowing WAY down. Don't ever feel like you need to comment on mine because then you just wasted more precious time. There are also two people that I know read mine that I do not want to, so I'm confused at what to do.

Until then, I'm with you and we'll see what happens!

Jenny said...

I have cut out SO much blogging because I can check my email from my phone, and check on the few blogs I read regularly from it. I'll do it when I'm waiting for Cate to come out of school, or waiting for Brad to come out to the car to p/u his lunch. There just has to be moderation in all things...

Lisa Webb said...

This blog makes me laugh cause i feel guilty to. Right now I should be packing but.... im reading your blog! I do like think about it like a journal. I love looking back at our past posts and laughing at how fast landon is growing.