Thursday, March 27

why? why?

if you know me you know that i HATE the dentist. not him personally, but just the whole experience. i am a wimp, and it doesn't help that i have awful teeth. i always have, and unfortunately probably always will. so my routine in the last ten years or so has been: get a tooth ache, go to the dentist and have a root canal or something else awful, then get so scared that i don't go back until i have to go again because i get another toothache. i have never been the type of person to stick to the twice a year cleaning schedule because i am just too scared. but a couple of months back i decided to go in and get a fresh start because it had been a few years (embarrassing i know) since i had had a routine cleaning. it was not fun, they had to do a crazy cleaning where they actually had to numb me and use drills just for a cleaning, but it was fine and i promised myself and my dental hygienist that i would floss every single day. so this is the reason for my post...why can i not do that? i can tell myself 100 times a day that i need to floss every night or i am going to continue to have problems, which then leads to going to the dentist for scary stuff to be done, but i can not seem to do it. i guess it is just like me eating healthy....i can tell myself 100 times a day that i am not going to have that bowl of ice cream at night, but i still do!

not that anyone cares, i just went in today for my third teeth cleaning in six months, and i had to admit that i am only flossing a couple of times a week and i really don't know why i can't do it. it is so frustrating to me and it is my own choice.......

20 comments:

Nicki said...

Sara, try the Reach Access Daily Flosser. I have to admit that I NEVER flossed until my dental hygenist gave me this nifty tool and it makes flossing so simple that I do it every night, now!

Or don't. We'll still love you without your teeth! :P

Flossing sucks!

Emily Judd said...

I am so the same way and I dont understand why it is so hard.

mikelle said...

I'm right there with you! I haven't been to the dentist since we moved here - 3 years! It's awful, I know, but I hate the dentist too. And I have to confess that I don't floss regularly either. It's such a pain!

Wendy said...

Have you tried to use the "Reach" flosser? It's a lot easier to get back there than jamming your fingers in your mouth. My dentist also suggests after brushing your teeth dip your tooth brush in mouth wash and then brush once more. Good luck.

Elizabeth said...

I hear you girl! I used to hate flossing too, but now that it's a habit I absolutely can't go to bed without doing it! Just try and do it for a week straight and see what happens!! I hate the dentist too, I always have a cavity or something wrong no matter how much I take care of my teeth, it's soo annoying!

camille said...

Ok, I totally know that it just sucks to go to the Dentist! I actually LIKED the dentist growing up cause I have fairly good teeth (lucky genetics really) and never had a problem. I even got a toy from the treasure chest at the office. So, I looked forward to it. Till I was an adult and it was left up to me to make appts., etc. So,when I was about 25, after 5 yrs of not going, I went to get a cleaning. I was SHOCKED to learn I had like 5 cavities and it took about 3 visits to do all the drilling/filling. YIKES!!! SO, now I'm not so into the Dentist...

ps. I still don't really floss, after all that!

camille said...

Oh yeah, my favorite saying from my sister in law is:

"Only floss the teeth you want to keep!"

Cute, but I'm not convinced!

Lisa Webb said...

Can't say I blame you! I haven't been in forever... Good luck!

SUMMER said...

I HATE flossing~ I have your same problem... we are both going to be busted by Dr. J!

Danielle said...

I know this is gross, but I have never flossed a day in my life and I have a pretty good dental history. I can't do it and then my gums bleed, no thank you! You have to keep up the twice a year cleanings and maybe those painful toothaches won't come up or at least can be fixed before they even hurt you. don't be scared!

Barbara said...

It's been so long since I have been in, I now refuse to go out of fear of what is to come. I am so bad that I will go into the bathroom at night to put my hair tie in the drawer or something while Jared is doing his nightly routine of face wash, teeth brush and extensive flossing....I will look at him and think...I should do that. Then I walk out and climb into bed. No face wash, no teeth brushing or flossing. Jared tells me that I am still a hippie from OR. I promise I do shower though!

Meggan said...

They say it takes 10 days to make or break a habit, so put a note on your mirror reminding you to floss before bed. After 10 days take it off and you will then not be able to go to bed before flossing. I don't remember the last time I didn't floss and I never flossed a day in my life until I got married.

I still hate the dentist. I despise being stuck in that chair with my mouth wide open and that blasted light shining in my eyes.

Ashley said...

Thats a lot of cleanings in 6 months! I don't love to floss either. Thats what mouth wash is for right!?

I actually don't mind the dentist. I have not had a cavity in years so I just went and had all my old fillings switched out for new ones. Talk about torture! My mouth has hurt for 3 months!

Good luck!

brooke said...

Ahhh, you are reminding me that I haven't been in over a year either. I have to say though that I did notice a big difference when I started flossing. And I say some is better than none, so pat yourself on the back for those few nights a week you get in! I go through phases. Like after I go to the dentist I'm really good for like a month and then I stop. Or before I have an appointment I'm really good the week before! Right now I'm in a bad phase. Oops...

Ann Marie said...

If you have read my blog then you know I am in the same boat as you! Hello - I just had to suffer through my first CROWN! Can you say so not fun! And super expensive too! I hate flossing as well. I think I am just so tired at night and as the last thing I have to do before bed it just seems to get cut at times. I need to be better too. Time to re-commit once again . . .

karlin said...

Sara... I swear we are so much alike. I hate the dentist probably because I have such bad teeth. Every tooth in my mouth has had a root canal and a crown pretty much. The past couple of years I've really tried to be faithful to my cleanings because I know what happens if I don't go regulary but I cannot commit to flossing. It is such a pain! I hate dental work and it's expensive!

Christy said...

Oh I can relate to this all too well. It has been SO long since I have been to the dentist. I don't have time because I am always taking my kids to different doctor appointments. And I cannot make myself floss every night either. I don't know why. Can't do it.

The Zeediks said...

just want you to know Matthew and I always laugh out loud when reading your posts. I always tell him he has to read what you wrote and not just scroll through the pictures because you are so funny! It is so hard to floss everyday! We want to see you all soon!

Tiffany said...

I am so sorry. That totally "bites!" Use the Sonicare. It gives you a more thorough brushing. I refuse to floss too.. so I can understand where you are coming from

Marcy said...

This is why I love you. You are so honest and so real. You crack me up...but I SO get your frustration with yourself. You have great looking teeth, even if you don't floss regularly! lol