What the CRAP (literally)?
Excuse my language, but when you are done reading this you will understand why I am using such harsh language. So, Bennett has been potty trained for a little over a month now, no major problems...or so i thought. It took a couple of weeks to get him to go #2 in the potty, which was fine and I was willing to work with him. But once he did it he was ok with the idea and we got to the point where it was a daily occurrence. WELL, today was the fifth day in a row that he pooped his pants. AAAHHH!!! What in the heck is going on? It makes me feel like such an awful parent, but I truly don't know what to do about it. I'm not sure what the appropriate reaction is. He obviously doesn't see it as a problem if he keeps doing it. I've read so many things saying that you can't get mad at them when they have accidents at first because then they get more discouraged, but after a month of no accidents it is impossible for me not to go into a screaming rage at him when he comes to me day after day with poop in his pants.
Sorry for the info, I had to get my frustration out...........I can't be the only mom going through this?!

6 comments:
sara - I am dealing with the EXACT same thing with Andrew - (except that he never "had it down") I decided that throwing away the underwear rather than scraping it clean was one thing that helped me not get so upset (when I thought of cleaning that underwear and literally having to scrape the 'you know what' off of it - I would lose it!) - now I just put him in a pull up all the time - he doesn't love it - but at least I don't make the problem worse by getting so upset with him. Billy was almost 4 before he had #2 down - - so I guess I just have to be more patient. But andrew is 3 1/2! Anyway - I don't know that I have the answer for you - I am actually looking for the answer as well - but I do know that him not being scared of me when he does go on his pants is much more important to me than a 3 1/2 year old who goes in the toilet. We are trying all the "incentives" we can at this point - I guess he'll do it when he's ready - and occasionally he does now anyway - just most of the time it's in the pull up. Sorry I am not much help - but I feel your pain!
Man Sara that sucks! What is his deal?! Bennett may be too young for this, but I know Lori Thurman said that Zach was doing that a lot too, and didn't seem to mind. She finally started making him clean out his own underwear, and hd did not think that was very funny. But who knows....please bless it is just a phase, but you better pack him some dry undies to take with him to preschool!
So I am attempting to potty train Anna and it's going fair. She loves wearing panties, but after her fourth accident in a row a couple days ago I decided I wasn't ready to deal with it. Now she's decided she's ready and wants to wear panties all the time. Two days in a row with her going pee in the toilet with no accidents. The problem is she won't poop. SHe doesn't even like going in her diaper so now I have the problem of her not going at all and when it finally does come, it's painful and tramatic. I am sorry about the crapping in the pants, that sucks, but at least he's going. I am worried ANna is going to have the biggest most painful poop and will never want to go again!
I think you should lovingly clean them out every time. When Scout grows up, I am going to hope he has this problem so that I can learn patience...yeah right! Stinks for you, by I am sure it is just a phase! Good Luck!
I went through the same exact thing with Eden. The magic solution was time. It took probably 3 months to have her fully potty trained. UGH. I would just throw away the poopy underwear. I did get upset at Eden too--just enough so that she knew it wasn't right, but not enough to scare the crap out of her. SICK!! So sorry. Been there and done than. Just keep doing exactly what you're doing and he'll catch on.
Sara-
I saw your link on Rebecca Holmstroms's blog. I love reading about your family. My kids are at preschool and I'm supposed to be cleaning my house and folding laundry but it's much more fun to read blogs. I totally relate with you. I have a three year old boy also. Last week he was wearing his bathing suit in the backyard and came inside with poop in it. Gross!! I couldn't throw the whole bathing suit away so I just scraped it out and sent him back outside in some shorts. When he was a little younger he'd poop in his underwear and then come and find me and tell me "Mom, I'm disappointed in my bum. It just pooped in my underwear." It made me laugh. It's no fun but eventually he'll get the hang of it. I don't have a blog yet but I am working on it. I'm a little afriad of getting addicted to it and spending hours on it like I've done today. Anyway. Your family it soooo cute. Keep me posted on your new postings!
-Kathleen Galt Ainsworth
leenainsworth@hotmail.com
Post a Comment